When I was a young girl, I used to doodle. A lot.
I was a day dreamer. And many of those dreams involved sun and sand and water and palm trees. And over and over and over again I would create a tropical sunset vignette. With a little island. And a palm tree. With some birds flying in the horizon.
So, naturally, this tropical sunset mason jar was destined to be. As I sat and dreamed of new and original mason jar craft ideas my young-girl-day-dreaming of a tropical sunset popped into my head.
Here’s how you can create your own …
How To Make A Tropical Sunset Mason Jar
1. Start with a band of yellow on bottom of jar using matte acrylic paint (don’t use enamel or multi-surface paint).
2. Add a band of orange in middle of jar. Just free hand it. No tape needed.
3. Using a foam brush, soften the transition between the bands.
4. Add a top layer of hot pink.
5. Repeat step 3 with the foam brush.
6. Let dry for 24 hours. And then distress using 80 grit sandpaper.
7. Using black enamel paint, freehand your “island” on bottom of jar.
8. After the bottom dries, freehand the palm tree trunk.
9. Add another layer to thicken up trunk.
10. Then come the leaves.
11. Using a fine-tipped brush, add a few birds.
12. I repeated the design on the back side of the jar.
12. Once dry, seal jar with spray clear coat sealant.
13. Add flowers … and dream.
Wishing you a lovely mason-jar-craft-filled day!