I’d like to say this Texas flag mason jar set was my idea. But I can’t.
I have to come clean with you all.
It was the brainchild of one of my Etsy customers.
And since I loved how it turned out, I’ve listed it at the Etsy shop. And I also thought I’d share a tutorial here with you so you can make your very own.
How To Make Texas Flag Mason Jar Set
(Made with wide mouth quart size mason jars)
1. Start with 2 coats of primer. Let dry for 24 hours before proceeding to next step.
2. Use Washi tape (can be found at craft stores and office supply stores) to tape off two jars, approximately half-way up jar. Seal bottom edge with your fingernail.
3. Give one thick coat of red paint.
4. To make star …
a. Turn Ball case upside down (with plastic casing still on) and apply painter’s tape, overlapping three strips.
b. Trace outline of star shape with pencil (I found my cardboard star shape at Michael’s).
c. Gently peel tape off plastic & cut out star.
d. Apply painter’s tape star to jar; seal edges with your fingernail.
e. Paint with blue paint.
5. Once dry, remove tape.
6. Use white paint and thin brush to touch up bleeds. Let dry for 24 hours before proceeding to next step.
6. Once dry (after 24 hours), distress using 80 grit sandpaper.
Focus on raised letters on front, back and sides.
7. To finish, seal with a acrylic or acetone matte clear coat spray.
And you’re done!
Now, if you’d prefer to purchase a set versus do it yourself, I have a listing up at my Etsy shop (click here) …
And now I’m wondering what other state flags I can turn into a mason jar sets …